Tmall reported increases in gross merchandise value (GMV), orders, and participating merchants in its 2023 11.11 campaign compared to the previous year.
Need a cost effective TP (Tmall Partner) to sell in China?
We are an Official Tmall Partner e-commerce Agency. Our Services: E-Commerce, Search Engine Optimization, Advertising, Weibo, WeChat, WeChat Store & PR.
- During the festival, Taobao and Tmall highlighted the popularity of value-for-money products and livestreaming among Chinese consumers.
- The use of AI-powered tools aided merchants in running more efficient marketing campaigns.
- Taobao and Tmall Group’s CEO, Trudy Dai, emphasized their user-first strategy, focusing on competitive pricing, diverse content, and AI technologies, in a statement.
- Despite macroeconomic challenges and COVID-19 impacts, the 2022 festival saw Taobao and Tmall achieving GMV comparable to 2021.
- Alibaba’s e-commerce ecosystem reported a GMV of RMB 540.3 billion ($84.54 billion) in 2021.
- The Double 11 or Singles’ Day shopping festival is crucial for engaging with Chinese consumers. The 2021 industry-wide GMV exceeded RMB 1 trillion, over four times higher than the GMV during Cyber Week 2022, according to Bain.
- Reflecting consumer sentiment, China’s State Post Bureau reported record express delivery volumes during the festival, with 5.26 billion packages delivered between Nov. 1 and Nov. 11, a 23.22% increase from the previous year.
- On the peak day, Saturday, 639 million parcels were delivered in China, marking a 15.76% year-on-year increase.
- The Taobao and Tmall 11.11 campaign ran from Oct. 24 to Nov. 11.
2023 Tmall Double 11 event
2023 Tmall Double 11 event, highlighting the significant achievements of various brands and industries during the sale.
Key Highlights of Tmall Double 11, 2023:
- Tmall released a comprehensive leaderboard covering industries like fast-moving consumer goods, apparel, sports and outdoors, consumer electronics, home decoration and furniture, automotive, toys and trendy playthings, food and fresh produce, pets, jewelry, and fragrances.
- A record-breaking year for Tmall, with 38,600 brands growing at a rate of over 100% compared to last year.
- 402 brands achieved sales exceeding 100 million yuan, indicating a substantial increase for global brands.
- Leading brands like Apple, Huawei, Haier, Midea, Xiaomi, L’Oréal, Estée Lauder, Pechoin, Lancôme, Nike, Adidas, Bosideng, Anta, Fila, Lin’s Furniture, and Genji Mokuzai all saw their sales surpass 100 million yuan.
Performance of New Brands:
- 1606 new brands, having opened their Tmall stores within the last three years, dominated various trending categories.
- Notable new brands include TGIF, which topped the gaming chair category, SINSIN, leading in the shark pants category, and Dongbian Ye Shou, a beauty brand emphasizing Eastern aesthetics, which ranked first in herbal skincare.
Market Share and Impact:
- According to data from the third-party organization Xingtu, as of midnight on November 11th, Tmall’s market share in the Double 11 GMV across all platforms reached 63.14%, demonstrating its significant market leadership.
The 2023 Tmall Double 11 event, spanning from October 31st to November 11th, showcased the platform’s ability to drive growth and innovation across diverse industries, highlighting the increasing influence of new brands in the competitive e-commerce landscape.
Tmall Tech Products
Tmall Babycare category
How to sell on Tmall?
five tips for selling on Tmall from the perspective of the GMA (Gentlemen Marketing Agency) and Tmall Partner (TP) officials:
- Understand Chinese Consumer Preferences:
- Tailor your product offerings and marketing strategies to suit the tastes and preferences of Chinese consumers.
- Stay updated on the latest trends and cultural nuances in China to connect better with your target audience.
- Leverage Tmall’s Marketing Tools and Platforms:
- Utilize Tmall’s extensive suite of marketing tools and platforms effectively for promotions and brand exposure.
- Engage in Tmall’s special sales events like the 11.11 Global Shopping Festival for maximum visibility.
- Optimize for Mobile Users:
- Since most Chinese online shoppers use mobile devices, ensure your Tmall store is mobile-friendly.
- Invest in mobile marketing strategies to engage the vast user base on mobile platforms.
- Focus on Quality and Authenticity:
- Prioritize high-quality products and authentic brand experiences to build trust with Chinese consumers.
- Leverage Tmall’s ability to certify product authenticity to enhance your brand’s credibility.
- Collaborate with Local Partners and KOLs:
- Partner with local Tmall Partners (TPs) who understand the platform and market dynamics for better guidance and support.
- Collaborate with Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) and influencers to drive brand awareness and consumer trust through endorsements and product reviews.
Following these tips can help international brands effectively navigate the competitive landscape of Tmall and successfully connect with the Chinese e-commerce market.